How can we
help you?
All California residents who would like to drive a vehicle on public roads are required, by law, to hold a CA driver’s license. Minors must first complete drivers education and pass all necessary tests to obtain an instruction permit (also known as a learner’s permit) first.
If you are under 18 years old, you can take the driving test once you have passed the permit test and practiced driving for at least six months, under supervision.
You may renew your driver’s license at any point during the 60 days prior to the point at which it expires, or at any point after that date. If you allow your license to remain expired for a prolonged period of time, you may be required to re-take DMV tests.
If you are moving to the Golden State. you will need to transfer your out-of-state or out-of-country drivers license. This applies to new California residents but not people who are considered to be ‘visiting’ the state on a temporary basis.
AB 60 is a law which allows California residents to obtain a driving license, even if they cannot provide evidence of their right to reside in the United States.
You must be at least 15 ½ years old to take the California permit test. In addition, you must have completed and passed a state-mandated driver’s education course (this does not apply to those over 17 ½ years old).